Friday 28 August 2015

The Big Move

Many of my friends and family told me that I am very brave for making the decision to move to Spain to teach for 10 months.. I also agree. Throughout my time studying at college and University, I have always thought of working abroad for that extra life-making experience and thankfully, Aston University gave me that chance.

For those of you know do not know me, my name is Tiff - just an average BBC from Leicester, UK. I'm currently undertaking placement year at Aston University and I study English Language. For those who are given the opportunity to do a placement year with your course, do it. I know for sure that I would have regretted the decision to not come because the next 10 months is going to be life-changing! From developing new personal skills to travelling cities in and around Spain. I really look forward to what placement has to offer for me as I am 75% sure I would like to go into teaching after I graduate - I just need some reassurance. 

Oh...and in case I haven't made it clear, I am doing my placement in Madrid for 10 months being a teaching assistant in Primary.


The journey from BHM International to Madrid Airport felt much longer than just 2h 25m! But the free onboard Wifi made every moment that much better (first world problems!) Who knew planes had Wifi?! The image on the right was taken as we were flying into Madrid :) 





The school I am working at is SEK International/SEK El Castillo. We're pretty much in the outskirts of Madrid; around 30 minutes away from the city by car. The surroundings are nice, lots of greenery! Not only is there a private nursery, primary and high school here but also a private University called UCJC (where I am living).







This is the UCJC University accommodation I am living in along with 14 other teaching assistants on the same placement as me. We are allocated to two females per room with showers and toilets down the hall. I have never lived with someone in the same room before but it isn't too bad...at least I will always have company! (before she leaves me in February)
A picture of my actual room will be posted a bit later on when it has been tidied.



My first impressions of Spain/Madrid are positive. Firstly, the weather is great... fancy leaving 16 degree weather back in England for 32 degree sunny Spain?! El Castillo is a secluded area with lots of posh houses and greenland. The school itself is large with plenty of space of the students to run around and play... some students are actually here for summer school and University starts again next week so there'll be a lot more faces around. We have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a cafeteria and it's just like being back at high school! The Spanish food is okay and the staff are really nice! (not that I can understand much of what they say) 

Today we had training for when school officially starts next week. It's very interesting to see how different international schools plan to teach the kids compared to schools back at home. Learning a new education system and being involved with a huge school like SEK is fascinating and I am enjoying every moment of it. 

I'll have a lot more to talk about when work officially starts so stay tuned for my next post! 

- Tiffany





No comments:

Post a Comment